People have been contaminating the world’s oceans for thousands of years. With the continued human activities like overfishing, climate crisis, pollution, and other forms of human exploitation, we have put our ocean at peril.
The ocean covers 70% of the planet’s surface. It is very essential for all living things on the planet, including us, humans. We rely on the oceans for food, a way of living, climate change laws, and more. But right now, the oceans need our help to ensure that we will still have a future, we must safeguard and preserve healthy marine ecosystems.
So how can we work together to safeguard our ocean? How can we save it for our generation and the next generation to come? How can we make a difference? Let’s try these ways to help save our ocean:
1. Limit the use of plastic products, especially single-use plastics. Plastics pollute our ocean and endanger marine life. With millions of tons of plastic being dumped into the ocean, it faces a massive threat from plastics as plastics never go away. We can make an impact by using reusable bottles, bringing our own tote or reusable bag, and by trying to recycle whenever possible.
2. Try to lessen your carbon footprint. We’ve been polluting our oceans for many years by burning fossil fuels. We all know that carbon dioxide makes our oceans more acidic and this has contributed to the loss of corals and it has affected where the fishes swim and how marine life reproduces. We can help by minding our energy usage.
3. Don’t buy products that use or harm marine life. Certain products that harm marine life are cosmetics using squalene ingredients (which comes from shark liver oil) like deodorant, moisturizers, lipsticks, etc.. Coral jewelry also depletes corals and their reproduction thus it negatively impact the reef ecosystem.
4. Help take care of the beach. Try to do your part by disposing of your trash. Always clean after yourself and remind others not to leave trash behind. You can even sign up for cleanups. Try to value and respect the ocean and marine life.
5. Increase your ocean knowledge. Explore the oceans. The more you learn about it, the more you’ll be able to preserve it. You will be able to learn about the issues that it faces and you can make preparation on ensuring its health and share that knowledge with others.
6. Support groups that work to protect the ocean. You may try to give financial help to organizations or groups that have the advocacy to save the ocean. You may also want to join or volunteer for hands-on work.
7. Spark a change in the community by speaking out. Be an advocate for the ocean. You can tell your friends, family, or community about what’s happening with our oceans and what can they contribute to making a difference.
The future of the world’s oceans and seas has deep consequences for humanity. Coastal and marine ecosystems are vital to the livelihoods of billions of people. Let us try to give hope to our oceans and to our future. Let’s do our part to make our planet a better place for ourselves and for our future generation.